Thursday, April 14, 2011

I Win… Again

The NBA season ended yesterday, which more importantly means that the NBA fantasy season ended as well.  My two teams finished in first and fourth place.  I have now won five of the eleven NBA leagues that I have played over the last ten years.  My worst finish in a league is fifth place.  Even though, or maybe because, I do not watch much many NBA games each season, the NBA is my best fantasy sport.  I have not watched an entire game all season.  I do watch lots of college games, and being from Kentucky kinda makes me a basketball expert.  Here are the rules that help me win.

1. Do not chase centers on draft day.  There is a shortage of  good centers, and there will be a run on them in the draft.  Wait for cheap centers at the end of the draft.
2. Because you are waiting on centers, draft forwards who block shots.
3. Only acquire players who help in at least one of the more rare stat categories, blocks, steals, and three pointers.
4. Avoid players who kill your percentage categories.  A big reason for my fourth place finish was Jason Kidd’s 35.8% field goal percentage.
5. Do not get too attached to your players.  I led both of my leagues in transactions.  I made nearly a quarter of the moves in one and over a third in the other.
6. As Barty Crouch Jr. would say, “Constant vigilance!”  The real Alastor Moody might say it also, but I just started rereading Order and he is not in it yet..

1 comment:

  1. Hey, did I ever appropriately brag about winning the Tournament Pick 'Em this year? Brag, brag, brag, I was awesome. I finished in the 98th percentile of all Yahoo users. Take that, suckas. Guess being awesome at fantasy basketball endeavors runs in the family. (I'm from Kentucky too, so I guess that helps.)

    ReplyDelete