Saturday, April 2, 2011

April Angriness (doesn't have the same ring to it)

For the second year in a row, I failed to get a team to the final four.  Losing these next three games, drops my record to 32-31.  That ties with my 1999 bracket for worst ever.  Yes, I am that big a nerd that I still have all of my brackets since 1993.  Once upon a time, 2001, my bracket went 53-10, but that seems like a long time ago.

Kentucky lost eight games this season.  Tonight's game against UConn will be UK's seventh rematch.  If Arkansas had made it to the SEC title game, Kentucky would have had a chance to avenge all eight losses.  So far, the Cats have won all six rematches, or all seven if you count that they beat Florida twice after losing the first game.  I expect Kentucky to continue that streak by beating UConn.

Tonight for the sixth time in this tournament I am picking against VCU.  I have cheered for them most of those games, and they keep surprising me by winning.  I am picking Butler to beat VCU tonight and then on a last second shot beat Kentucky on Monday.

I heard somewhere that every year the Wildcats win the national title that the Yankees also win the World Series.  I do not believe that New York has enough talent to win the series this year, so that was my reason for picking against Kentucky.  But while writing this, I checked the record and found out that I had been misinformed.  UK's first title in 1948 was followed by a Cleveland Indians World Series title.  Now I am stuck making my prediction based on the current teams instead of history.

I am still picking Butler to win the title, just because I already had my mind made up to pick against the Cats.  I have not decided yet which team I will cheer for to win, but I know it will not be UConn.  I will be happy if any of the other three win.  VCU would be the lowest seeded team to win the title, and I am a big fan of the underdog.  I usually cheer for the smaller conferences against the six power conferences.  Butler and VCU both fall into that category.

The history of my on and off relationship with the Cats is too long for this post, and I have never liked John Calipari.  When he was hired at UK, I was not sure if I could cheer from them, but last year DeMarcus Cousins won me over to the team.  I will probably end up cheering for Kentucky just because I am a big fan of the Big Blue cheering section on Windy Hill.

2 comments:

  1. My girls are sad that the game is on too late for them to "watch", but are cheering for UK also. I'm also a big fan of the Big Blue cheering section on Windy Hill. C-A-D-A Dats! Dats! Dats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to state clearly for the record that despite what my bracket says, I am cheering for my Cats. I actually watched the Butler/VCU game just so I wouldn't get distracted and miss the important game. It's making me nervous.

    ReplyDelete