Thursday, April 7, 2011

Former Hundred Thousandaire

If you have read my recent posts, it will come as a great surprise to you that once upon a time I accurately predicted the outcome of sporting events.  ESPN awards a cash prize each month to whoever can build the longest streak of correct predictions.  Last April I had a twenty-five game winning streak which was long enough to win the $100,000 prize.

Whenever someone hears about my winnings, they always ask what I bought or how well I invested it.  Others, who have known about it since it happened, will talk to me like I still have stacks of cash lying around.  The truth is that most of the money is gone.

I had not yet received my money when I left North Rock on vacation.  When I got to Lexington, my brother Joshua  presented me with a giant check that he made.  After that, I checked my bank account and the money had been direct deposited.  That night I fed our family of nine at Red Robin.  We traveled on to Fairfax the next day, and the party grew from nine to thirteen.  Thanks to my cat like reflexes I was able to grab the check at both Macaroni Grill and The Cheesecake Factory.  Unfortunately my poor choice of seats at Cheeburger Cheeburger and The Silver Diner put me too far from the waitress to get those checks.  Still those three meals used up the first $525 of my winnings.


I had decided before April was over that if I won the money, I would give half of it away.  When I got home from vacation, I made a list of likely recipients.  Of course, God got his cut first.  My denomination does not enforce tithing, but I believe that ten percent is a good place to start.  I will not list all of the charities that I donated to, but a couple of my favorite are Riley's Warriors and City Connections.  I also shared the wealth with my family.  I felt like Oprah, passing money out to everyone.

The IRS wanted their share also and were not willing to wait until April 15 to get it.  I had to estimate how much I thought that I would owe and sent it to them.  Even though I may be the least patriotic person you know, I like paying taxes.  I am completely spoiled by the freedoms and prosperity that are available living in this country, so I gladly handed over $31,000 to pay for them.

I did make one big purchase for myself, and that was a new central heat and air unit.  Nearly every year that I have lived in my house either the heat or air or both have broken down.  The unit cost $8,800, but I got a energy efficient tax credit of $1,500.  Yes I did just claim that I like paying taxes and then made sure that I paid as little as possible.  I never claimed to be consistent.



I paid an extra $10,000 on my home loan.  That leaves me with around $8,000 left.  It is hard to believe both that I spent that much in a year and that it was not any harder to spend.

One time I made a joke on facebook about spending my money on astroturf.  Afterward I heard that some people thought that the status was me bragging about the money.  That added to Matthew 6:3, "do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing," made me reticent to post this.  However I thought some of you might be curious about how I spent the money, so I posted this anyway.  Since most of the money is gone, that means that it is time for me to win again.

8 comments:

  1. Looking at the other former winners does not give you good odds at winning again. If you should win again, the best month to repeat the win would be December and having no previous 2011 winner hit the number of wins to get the extra $50,000.00 each month.


    So good luck at trying to win again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have I ever mentioned that you're awesome? 'Cause you are. Thanks for being so generous before, during, and after your windfall.

    Also I coined the term Hundred Thousandaire, and I do expect the credit for that.

    P.S. I've often thought you reminded me of Oprah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Shane is actually a lot nicer and happier than Oprah could ever hope to be.

    Also, CNN first used the term Hundred Thousandaire back in 1999.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Shane! I really dislike Oprah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are an inspiration. Seriously. An absolute inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had no idea that Oprah was such a polarizing person. I thought she just gave stuff away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. While you may have meant the Oprah line as a joke, my main objection to Oprah is it is all about the Oprah Brand.

    One of my Mom's friends in Chicago worked with Steadman, Pat had the great misfortune to deal with Oprah on several occasions. It was all about what what would Oprah get out of this or that.

    I am gald she is trying to do good, but getting car makers to give cars to her audience and then haveing the audience have to pay the sales taxes is not giving them a car. If the audience member was from Arkansas and they received a 25,000 car for free,they owed the state of Arkansas about $2,800.00 when they returned home. Many of the people had to turn down the cars because they did not want to pay the sales tax. That is not giving.

    Pompous you are my hero and Oprah is not. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anybody who turns down a new car because of three grand in taxes is an idiot. Just pay the sales tax and then sell the brand new car for more than $3,000. If you got a car worth $18,000, paid $3,000 in sales tax, and then sold the car for $12,000 (which you should be able to get pretty easily, even in Arkansas), you make a $9,000 profit.

    ReplyDelete