Thursday, September 8, 2011

Charles in Charge

The fantasy football draft season ends tonight. As always, it was a stressful time. Even though I had some scheduling conflicts, I was able to attend all five of my drafts. That is one of the keys to success since auto-draft is the death to a team. I did not do much pre-draft research this year, so I likely missed some late round sleepers.

When a draft ends, I nearly always believe that my team is the best even without looking at anyone else's squad. New this year, Yahoo gives an award for best draft based on projected stats. I only won it in one of my four Yahoo leagues, so there must be a flaw in their math.  I try to diversify my teams, so that they are not all dependent on the same players. I ended up getting Jamaal Charles in three leagues. If he gets hurt, 60% of my teams will be out of contention.

Now that all the excitement of the draft is over, it is time for the long boring NFL season. My fantasy teams will keep me interested in the season for about four weeks. After that, I will be ready to move on to basketball.

ps. I bet you would have preferred a post about Scott Baio.

5 comments:

  1. A handy reminder that I haven't even looked at my teams yet since I trusted the auto-draft. Two hours until kick-off, so I guess I should at least look.

    Also I always want a post about Scott Baio. Maybe next time ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not to disappoint--I did start singing the Charles in Charge themesong when I saw the title.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to look at mine as well. I was busy eating a Deer Dawg that night and it slipped my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I spent most of my football watching time today trying to convince Traci-heart that Cam Newton was the best QB in the SEC last year and that he was furthermore a fine upstanding Christian athlete and a shining light of moral decency in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation of student-athletes. I enjoy doing things like this because annoying Traci-heart is infinitely more interesting than football, especially when 3 out of the four teams playing represent decaying cities from America's rust belt and the fourth is from a city in Florida where no one of any account lives. The only Floridian cities worth remembering are:
    1. Lake City - for its connection to the Sandlin clan and therefore to yours truly.
    2. Orlando - the current residence of the Incredibles and Robin William's legless blue twin
    3. Miami - a city which only makes the list because it provides Dave Berry with so much comedic fodder
    4. Del Boca Vista - this one is not even a city. It's a retirement community in Southeast Florida where Morty and Helen Seinfeld live. The Costanzas were going to move down there out of spite, but it didn't work out.
    I also resent that there are so many pirate teams in professional sports. Some of them should change their mascots. If they wanted to hang on to some of the pirate-ish history but make themselves much cooler and more unique, I recommend the parrot heads. They could rush onto the field to various Jimmy Buffett hits. If they lost, the team could all slowly drudge out of the stadium softly singing, "Come Monday, it'll be alright..."

    ReplyDelete
  5. The previous comment was a long way to go for a not-that-great Seinfeld reference, but the "Come Monday" bit totally redeemed you.

    ReplyDelete