Saturday, July 16, 2011

Parental Guidance Suggested

Being an adult, or at least of an age that is considered adultish, I do not pay much attention to movie ratings.  However, I did notice the PG rating last night when I watched Megamind.  Why do they make cartoons that require parental guidance?  I read some movie reviews at parent oriented websites that said the reason for the rating was the violence.  I have been watching cartoon violence for many, many years and most of that without parental supervision, so I am not the best judge on what is appropriate for children.

There was a line in the movie that I thought was not at all appropriate.  The villain in the movie states that the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, and the Queen of England are not real.  I do not understand why someone would put that in a movie for children.  I grew up believing in the existence of two of those three.  If I was a parent, I would not want a cartoon suggesting that the mythological characters that my child believes in are not real.

Other than that, I loved the movie.  I knew before watching that Will Ferrell was in it.  If I had not, I doubt that I would have recognized his voice.  The only voice that I could identify was Jonah Hill.  I am always surprised at how bad I am at recognizing celebrity voices in cartoons.  I have gotten to the point where I don't even try.

7 comments:

  1. Megamind is one of our all-time favorites! The girls will be so glad you liked it. I also kept trying to hear Will Ferrell, but I didn't hear him, only Megamind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we show movies at the lieberry, we have to post the rating on our calendar, so I've become aware lately of how many cartoons are PG--lots and lots of them. I don't get it.

    I'll admit when I was the title of this post, I was hoping you were going to go on a cussing spree and maybe even use all those British swear words I love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sleepless in SeattleJuly 16, 2011 at 1:31 PM

    I almost never recognize famous cartoon voices. And I'm not surprised by it either. I lack attention to detail lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sons are 5 and 7, and are walking the tightrope of belief in childhood myths. I am very glad you disclosed the pin-in-the balloon moment when the villian (writer) accounces the beloved myths to be, well, myths. We will be skipping this movie.

    best,
    MOV

    ReplyDelete
  5. oops, bad editor. announces, not accounces. *maybe I made up a new word? this must be how Christopher Columbus felt...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I finally saw the movie tonight. I enjoyed it for the most part, but I kept thinking that it wasn't as funny as it could have been. There were funny bits to be sure, but I thought that they kept missing chances for real cleverness and wit and overindulging in stuff that seems like it should have been funny, but wasn't that much. It confused me since the greatest comedy mind in show business was in the starring role (assuming that Tina Fae's character was the star of course). Then I saw the credits and realized that Ben Stiller was an executive producer, and it all made sense.

    ReplyDelete