Friday, July 29, 2011

Flix on the Net

Once upon a time when renting dvds through the mail was in its infancy, I signed up for blockbuster online.  The best part of the program was that you got a free in store rental in addition to the ones through the mail.  I would usually use these on television box sets.  I was definitely getting my money's worth.  After a few years they changed their policy to every movie received through the mail could be exchanged for an in store rental.  I like that at first, but after a while it became one more errand to run.

This winter I decided to switch from blockbuster to Netflix, because I was tired of driving to the store.  Evidently my $12.95 a month was the only thing keeping Blockbuster afloat.  Shortly after I cancelled my subscription, they closed down the Blockbuster nearest my house.

My plan was to take a break from movies for awhile then switch over to Netflix.  I enjoyed not having to schedule my life around when a movie would arrive in the mail, so I continued putting off signing up for Netflix.  Rewatching Angel this summer has kept me content and not missing movies at all.  I am over half way through and loving it as much as always.

Around the middle of June, I thought of a great blog post that I needed to write for you.  It is not ready yet, but it will be soon.  For this post to reach its full potential, I needed access to some movies that I don't own.  I finally signed up for Netflix and got their first month free trial.  Before my trial month was even over, they changed their prices on me.  It went from $9.99 for everything to $7.99 for dvds and $7.99 for streaming on the ps3.

During that first month, the only movie that I had downloaded was God in America.  It was also available to watch at pbs or at church if I had attended with any regularity this summer.  So I considered dropping the streaming portion of my plan, but then I watched The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.  It came highly recommended by Ring of the Other Hand and his father, so I gave it a try.  I watched 14 episodes in one weekend and knew that I had to keep streaming.  Episodes last only 22 minutes, so I can watch several in a row or any time that I have a little time to spare.  After the Avengers I can watch Futurama, Family Guy, and cartoons from my childhood.


The only drawback is that this may become a stumbling block to my desires to read and write.  Sometimes I do not have the self discipline to turn off the television.  Hopefully I will be able to find the balance.

4 comments:

  1. What font did you use to type this blog? Lol #randomquestion

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Ring on the other hand" was my favorite part of this post. He and I do indeed love that show, and his mom watched one with us the other day, and got sucked in so much that she made us all sit and watch another one together. Sadly, our version of pinkie tends to scream through episodes when we aren't paying here enough attention.
    E was SO mad went Ultron went bad. It was fantastic to see the shock on his face. Can you imagine watching Ultron go bad for the first time?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fate of the economy is your hands? Blockbuster has been in business since 1985 and all it took to take them down was Pompous saying I do not want to drive a few miles to return a DVD and get a DVD box set.

    All I can say is wow. So please use your power wisely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Stalker - I wrote this using the notes app of my iPhone. I emailed it to myself, then cut and pasted it to the blog. I don't know the name of the font.

    @Avenger - MJ is the fifth Sandlin great grand, which makes her the thumb when counting on your fingers.

    ReplyDelete