Friday, June 24, 2011

My Old Kentucky Home

Last night someone made the statement, "You can take the girl out of Kentucky, but you can't take Kentucky out of the girl."  I replied vehemently, "Why would you want to do that!"  My fellow Kentuckian, the girl in question, heartily agreed.

Later that night I was playing a sporcle quiz on my phone.  The category was US History Grab Bag.  One of the questions was name the vice presidents whose names start with B.  There are five of them.  I remembered Bush, but he was the only one that I could think of.  So you can imagine my embarrassment when the answers were revealed, and I had forgotten Kentucky's VP Alben W Barkley.  I have been to his house, and still forgot him.  I redeemed myself slightly by getting Kentucky right as one of the four states added in the 1790's.  It appears that even though my heart is still in Kentucky, there is not much of it left in my brain.

3 comments:

  1. You apparently can't take the hick Kentucky accent out of the girl either. I still have people routinely ask where I'm from when I speak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you qoute me, please use my name. I love being the center of attention and seeing my name on the internet and in print. You have denied my a google search with a positiive result.

    @Michelle, the few times I have heard you speak I found your accent to be quite charming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not use your name because that was not the important part of the story. It did not matter who mentioned Kentucky in a conversation. What's important is that I forgot about Vice President Barkley.

    ReplyDelete