Thursday, June 2, 2011

I Hate Illinois Nazis

Once upon a time, I needed to buy some birthday presents.  So I went through my normal shopping routine, which consists of going to a few stores, not buying any presents, and buying something for myself.  This time what I bought myself was socks and draws.  I know it is not that exciting, but I was needing some.  My first rule here is to not buy Hanes.  They have some of the worst commercials on television.  That is normally not a problem because I fast forward through most commercials. Unfortunately Hanes is a big advertiser for the NBA, and most sporting events I watch live.  Terrible commercials alone would be reason enough not to buy their product, but the worst thing is their choice of spokesman.  The star of their advertising campaign is Hitler Jordan.  So my brand of choice for draws is Fruit of the Loom.  Buying socks is a bit more of a challenge.  Most companies sell a one size fits most sock.  Shoe sizes 6-12 are all supposed to wear the same sock.  That is big difference is foot size.  The heel of those socks come up to the ankle on my size 10 feet, so they probably come up to the knee for size 6 feet.  I am sure Will could model this for you.  Thankfully I found the brand Sofsole at The Shoe and Carnival.  The socks that I buy from them are for 5-9.5 shoe size.  They are almost too short, but much better than the too long alternative.  So unless I start knitting my own socks to my exact size, this will have to do.

4 comments:

  1. Too funny--buying for yourself, draws, Shoe and Carnival, Will modeling... Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur. I want some short socks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps. I was very disappointed in Youtube's selection of Blues Brothers clips. Right before that clip starts, Jake quotes the name of this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On my size 8 feet, the heel of the sock goes a little bit past the top of my ankle. I have tried sport socks from Armani, Ralph Lauren/Polo, Gap, and Hanes and all of them have the same problem they like to make their socks in the one size fits all of Size 6 – 12.

    Back in the 1990’s, Ralph Lauren/Polo and Armani made a size 6 -9 and a size 9-12 which worked fairly well for me. For whatever reason in the early 2000’s, both companies decided to go the route of one size fits all with the ever popular size 6 – 12. This means I went from having a sports sock that was a near perfect fit to having a sport sock that has the heel crawling up my ankle.

    I may have a solution. Since draws come in sizes of 2 (for example 32- 34 whether you wear Fruit of The Loom or Armani) why not start your own sports sock company where the socks are sold in size of two (like size 6 – 8, ect.). The socks could be called Shane (it is Hanes with the S moved to the front instead of at the end). I would gladly give you the capital to start the business. We could go 60/40 on the profits and donate the profit to our favorite charities like Newman’s Own does.

    I think this would work because I could finally have a sock that fits without having to go to the Boy’s section and getting an extra large sock.

    ReplyDelete