Saturday, October 19, 2013

Changing the world since 1999

The other day I was invited to a party. I immediately got my dear in the headlights look. As in, "Dear God please get me out of this!" Thankfully my prayer was answered when Ellen said that I would be in Kentuck today. You may not know this about me, but parties are my nemesis. I hate all parties whether they are Halloween, Christmas, or political. You might argue that I am gladly partying today, but there are two different kinds of birthday parties. My family often gets together for a meal and dessert and some times there are dames. The only difference today is that there are presents. I like that kind of birthday party. But when the birthday is elsewhere and with other people, that's when my social anxiety flares up. For not the first time, Katelyn saved my life today.

I say not the first time because she did it fourteen years also. She was born during a difficult time in my life. I already had my prodigal son moment and returned to church after being away for several years and was praying for really the first time in my life. But it was the presence of that newborn baby that really motivated me to change my life. I had never paid much attention to babies in the past. It's likely that I had held one before, but I can't guarantee it. I held broken winged baby girl all the time. She knew nothing of the disaster I had made of the first 26 years of my life. I was starting a new relationship with her and realized that I could start anew with myself as well. After meeting her, I forgave myself and others (not sure which was harder) for all the sins in my past. Saying that she saved my soul is blasphemous, but it's not far from the truth.

All that in just the first few months of her life. She is even more precioum now. Happy birthday Katelyo.

3 comments:

  1. Her'm em precioum. But let the record show she did say "precious" today. I heard it. Little freak show is growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is exactly what we needed. Every good and perfect gift...

    ReplyDelete
  3. " I was starting a new relationship with her and realized that I could start anew with myself as well."
    That's probably the best thing I've ever read on a blog. Love her and love the new you she helped make.

    ReplyDelete