Friday, March 2, 2012

Funny Anecdotes from Work

The other day at work, a truck driver said to my supervisor, "I heard that you married an eighteen year old."  Actually I don't remember the exact quote, but it was something like that.  Tony quickly said that he was not, but that I was.  I stated emphatically, "I would shoot myself in the head before marrying an eighteen year old."

This morning I was dumping sacks of mail.  The container of empty sacks was sitting about five feet away from me.  Empty sacks have almost no weight to them, so they have to be thrown in a way that keeps them from catching too much wind.  I usually throw them with a frisbee type motion.  One time I had to hurry my throw as my supervisor was about to walk through the flight path.  The sack unfolded and fell short of the target.  Raymond laughed and said, "Mr Kentucky."  For those of you who don't speak basketball, this was a reference to the fact that basketball was invented, perfected, and is worshiped in Kentucky, my home state.  The fact that the sacks are orange helps the analogy.  It is possible that he was also referring to the rumor that has circulated through the post office that I was an All-American basketball player in college.  Unfortunately a car wreck following my senior year injured my knee and kept me from reaching the NBA.  I am still amazed how many people were gullible enough to believe that story considering the source, and how many people stopped believing it after actually seeing me play basketball.

3 comments:

  1. Was the source for that story about your bball skills this blog, cause it's sort of got a reputation for telling whoppers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See you do have funny work anecdotes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's a legend in his coworker's mind. He's a hero at getting points in the paint.

    ReplyDelete