Friday, October 7, 2011

Thanks for Nothing Chris

Monday will be the five hundred nineteenth anniversary of the day that Christopher Columbus brought smallpox to this hemisphere.  Every year the USPS closes their offices to celebrate this holiday.  Some times they let me have a day off work to celebrate also.  As I was leaving work Wednesday morning, I checked the holiday schedule to find out if I would be working that day.  Monday is my normal day off, so my holiday falls on Saturday.  To my surprise, only four people were scheduled to work their Saturday holiday.  I knew that whichever supervisor had made out the holiday schedule had made a mistake.  I was worried about who would cover my job while I wasn't there, for about a second.  Then I started planning how I would spend my unexpected day off.  My usual agenda on long weekends is to go to Clinton.  Since I will be going there in a couple of weeks, I decided to stay home.  I spent the next two days planning all those things that I could do with a longer weekend.  This morning at 6:15, fifteen minutes before my holiday would begin, my supervisor told me that I would be working tonight after all.  I was not surprised, but I was disappointed that I had wasted two days anticipating that I would be off work.  I hope that the plans that I made will inspire me to waste less of the time off work that I actually have.

ps. I found an earring at my house this morning.  If no one claims it, I will have to get an ear pierced.

No comments:

Post a Comment