Thursday, May 5, 2011

Potential Hundred Thousandaire

Once upon a time, let’s say it was in March, I was given a survey at work.  This happens from time to time.  Usually the questions are about how bad management is or how much I am sexually harassed.  This survey had questions regarding savings, retirement, and finance in general.  The last question asked if I would like more information.  My knowledge is this area is very thin, so I checked that box.  I expected to get a pamphlet in the mail with either very basic information or stuff way over my head.  So you can imagine my surprise, when a week or two later, a phone call wakes me up.  The voice on the other end of the line wanted to set up a meeting with me.  The conversation was over before I was completely awake, so I did not ask any questions about the nature of the meeting.

The next week a guy came to my house and explained to me the ins and outs of my financial future.  He was about half way through his presentation when I realized that this was not a tutorial but a sales pitch.  He told me that he could take the change from under my couch cushions and turn me into a millionaire.  I have no desire to be a millionaire.  But since my savings account and my TSP (the government employee equivalent  of 401k) are making very little money, I decided to give him the chance to make more money for me.

The ironic thing here is that I hate money.  I did not try to explain this to Leon because he did not seem like the type of person who would understand that concept.  I will explain my disdain for money using this hypothetical scenario.  If I was in a sinking boat with money and a goat and could only save one of them, I would save the goat and let the money drown.  That is how much I hate money.

Unfortunately there may come a time when I am not healthy enough to continue working.  So I will need to have some money saved to pay for a good nursing home.  But I still feel guilty about every dollar that I save.  It always makes me feel like I am tearing down my barns to build bigger ones.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, you once had a $100,000 and now you have that potential again. Did Leon give you a house plant to care for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You no like a goat!! Save a little for the nursing home so you won't be a burden on society--that's nothing to feel guilty about. Then if you are as fit as a fiddle until you kick it, give the money to a worthy cause in your will. --I wonder if you could invest your money in goats...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Investing in goats is an excellent way to store up for yourself treasures in heaven.

    Michelle is right when she says that you don't need to feel guilty about saving money now. Giving 1 million dollars to good causes in forty or fifty years might be a better thing than giving the change from your couch to a good cause today. At HU we have an amazing scholarship program for Bible majors. It was established by a seemingly low-income man who had saved well and died with 2 million dollars in the bank. He left it all to help young people study the Bible when they couldn't afford to do so otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I realize that my feelings of guilt are not rational. They not not strong enough to stop me from saving but are always there in the back of my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most of my life I have had a love/hate relationship with money. I know I need money to pay for food and housing and transportation, but the thought of what is in my bank accounts and how it got there makes me very upset and wish money did not exist. I would gladly give my bank accounts to have my parents, brother, grandparents, godmother, and most importantly my son alive and healthy.

    One of the pleasures I do get out of money is giving it away or buying present for those near and dear to me. 99% of my donations to charities are given anonymously. I do not want the publicity or the thank you that goes with donations. I truly believe it is better to give than receive and no need to say thank you.

    When I give a friend a gift and I see the look of joy on their face, I have the thanks that I need. I do not want or need them to say the words thank you. Although there are a few contrary people who when they find out what I have done anonymously for them, feel the need to say thank you and let me know they know what I did.

    Since my first job at 22, I can truly say I have spent more than 95% of all the money I have earned. I do not advise this for everyone. As long as you do not make making money your main goal and the number one priority in your life, I think God is alright with people having savings to take of their families and to do things for the good of the community.

    For me, my wonderful family and my wonderful friends are my true savings. So let me grab the goat and the ship can go ahead and sink.

    ReplyDelete