Saturday, May 14, 2011

#1 Threat to the NBA

I first discovered professional basketball in the mid eighties.  Being from KY, I had of course been playing basketball for years and had even been to Rupp Arena a few times.  Not knowing anything about the teams playing, I cheered for the Lakers simply because others in the room were for the Celtics.  Later when I started following the NBA, I feel victim to the marketing campaign that was Michael Jordan.  I am disappointed in myself that I was once so susceptible to advertising, but in my defense I was very young at the time.  I was a really big Bulls fan when they were losing to the Pistons and through the first two championships.  By the time they won their third, I was tired of them.  My dislike of front runners had finally overcome my desire to stick out my tongue while playing basketball.  I came back to the Bulls the next year after Jordan's first retirement.  Then when Jordan came back and Grant was replaced by Rodman, I was through with the Bulls for good.  I moved my allegiance to Seattle with Kemp and Payton.  Over the next few years I drifted away from the NBA.  Eventually I stopped watching the NBA altogether.  Even when I started playing fantasy basketball, I rarely watched any games.  I think the reason that I have stopped watching the league is because I no longer have a team to cheer for.

I have watched more games this playoff season than I have any time in recent memory, and I have found myself drawn to the team from Memphis.  Conley, Randolph, Gasol, and Gay have all spent time on my fantasy teams the last two years, so I was already used to cheering for some of the Grizzlies.  Their eight over one upset of the Spurs sparked my love for the underdog.  Since Memphis is only a couple of hours away, it is likely as close as I will ever get to a home town team.  Plus the Grizzlies have a great mascot.  (Editors Note: This would be the perfect place to put a picture of that bear crossing sign I saw in Missawippi.). If that was not enough there is the added drama of the flood that threatens the city.  Regardless of the outcome of game seven tomorrow, I have found a new team and a renewed interest in the NBA.

1 comment:

  1. This is the first time I've watched the NBA play-offs from the beginning. Typically, I don't watch until the championship series starts. I hope, for your sake, that Memphis wins Sunday.

    ReplyDelete