Saturday, May 7, 2011

The Mighty Thor

This is my third attempt at this post.  The theme of my first version was that the movie would have been much better if none of it had taken place on Midgard (Earth).  In the rewrite I agreed with Kenneth Branagh that Thor needed to travel to Midgard to learn humanity.  I am currently undecided.  The magnificence of the Asgard and Jotunheim sets in the movie reinforced my desire to see more of the Golden Realm instead of just another movie set on Earth.  But there is also the need for Thor to learn to be a hero and not just a warrior.

I have finally come to a conclusion.  I want two Thor movies.  The first one like my original plot.  Open with a big battle scene.  A plot is discovered.  Thor is manipulated by Loki into defying Odin’s command.  Asgard is attacked by frost giants and nearly falls.  Thor comes to the rescue and saves the golden realm.  Because of Thor’s disobedience, Odin banishes Thor to Midgard.  That is the end.  After the credits roll, show a scene similar to the one at the end of Iron Man 2.  Then in the sequel, Thor, exiled to Midgard, falls in love with the human race.  He becomes their champion and protector.

Unfortunately, there is only enough time for one movie before Joss Whedon’s Avengers comes out next year.  That being the case, Branagh made a really good movie.  My only real complaint is that Volstagg the Voluminous was not large enough.  The rest of the cast and the look and feel of the movie was great.

After my healthy lunch of popcorn, I stopped at Cold Stone on the way home.  I got home in time to see the Cubs blow a lead, then get a walk-off win.  Then I watched the end of Verlander’s no hitter, the Kentucky Derby, and the Grizzlies comeback overtime win.  I hope the rest of the day continues to be as good.

No comments:

Post a Comment