Saturday, November 5, 2011

I've Got the Conch!

Once upon a time, I was one of those annoying people who read books.  I would say things like, "You haven't read A Tale of Two Cities," with equal parts surprise, pity, and superiority.  Actually, I said that this week.  Unfortunately I no longer read books.  As with all things that are left undone in my life, I blame the internet for this.  I can't be bothered to read some classic work of literature when I should be reading tweets.  I have only read one book this year.  Actually, I have read thirteen books, but twelve of them have been audio books, and eleven of those rereads.  My most recent reread was Lord of the Flies.

This was the perfect time for me to read this book.  The cast ranges from age six to twelve.  I have a six years old nephew and a twelve years old niece.  Obviously girls are different than boys, but I can imagine what her maturity and mindset would be like in a boy that age.  Often when children appear in books, they will behave just like adults would.  They are too smart, too rational, and, when Stephen King is writing about them, having too much sex.  I think Golding did a good job of capturing the youth of his characters.

If these children had watched Recess, they would have learned the dangers of mob mentality.  Instead, tragedy strikes their community.  This story contrasts rules vs. anarchy, duty vs. desire, and Bart vs. Nelson.  Oh, that last one was from The Simpsons LotF parody, Das Bus.  I got it from Netflix after I finished the book.  As a bonus, one of my favorite Homer lines was on that disc.  "Don't you hate Pants!"


So the children learned to function as a society, and eventually they were rescued by… oh lets say Moe.

3 comments:

  1. I love this post for two reasons, well three. 1)LOTF is one of the books I actually read in school and didn't use Cliff notes. So it holds a special place in my heart. And you do too.
    2)You brought back a fond childhood memory of me watching Recess and laughing hysterically.
    3)I didn't realize the setting of Recess was Arkansas, until I started watching other clips of Recess on boobtube.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would think that a person who so strenuously pressured you to write this point would have commented by now with a critical essay in response. Blog fan fail, Mac.

    I don't even watch the Simpsons, and I recognize the comedy gold of your last line. Also Recess--what a great tie-in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I read it initially and enjoyed it, but I didn't get around to commenting on it right then. I still don't have a critical essay, but I will say that I agree with you about Golding's accurate treatment of children. What's great about it is that children as children are not only more believable than children as adults, but also more interesting. I think that I especially liked the book because I have for years indulged in imagining scenarios where the people I was around were forced to form a new society right then and there. This was always especially fun on youth group retreats or in class room situations. Would I become a dictator? I often asked in those settings? At what age would the kids/students begin to really challenge the authority structures left over from the old world. How would things like a lack of food affect those social tensions. It's also fun to think about when we're all at KY lake for Christmas. I'll try to remember to bring a conch this year.

    Also, the final line here is one of my top ten Simpsons jokes. It's right up there with "I'd like to buy your rock from you Lisa."

    ReplyDelete