Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Discount Double Check

It was not my intention to write fantasy football posts two weeks in a row.  I realize that if I continue this trend I will drive away at least one of my loyal readers.  I would hate to do that since he is a large percentage of my readership.  Unfortunately this post had to be written, so please forgive me.

Those of you who follow me on the Twitters, @TodayPOMPOUS, know that on Sunday fantasy football was dead to me.  Then Monday night its reanimated corpse declared that it was still alive.  The story of how fantasy football was resurrected takes more than 140 characters, so I moved the story to my blog.

In week 9, I faced some tough match-ups.  My four opponents were a combined 22-10.  I was disappointed by my 2-2 record that weekend.  I won't bore you with the details here since you already read about them.  This week I expected things to go much easier.  My opponents were a lowly 10-26.

It started going bad as soon as the games began.  I got online right at kickoff time and learned that DeSean Jackson had been suspended for the game.  If I had checked the news just a couple of minutes earlier, I could have benched him.  It went down hill from there.  By the time that the early games ended on Sunday, all four of my teams were losing badly to vastly inferior teams.  To make matters worse Philadelphia was upset by Arizona which brought an end to my Survivor League season.

Monday night there remained a sliver of hope.  The Danville Platypi were losing by 6.17 with the Green Bay defense yet to play.  The Packers defense, which has been shaky much of the season, contained the leagues best running back and might have pitched a shutout if not for a muffed punt.  They scored 9 points which was enough for a 96.98-94.15 victory.

John Brown was in more desperate need on Monday down 35.62 points.  I thought that there might be a chance that Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, and Mason Crosby could combine for that much but it was unlikely.  Aaron Rodgers threw his first TD pass to Jennings and the second one to Nelson with a Crosby field goal in between.  When Rodgers threw his fourth TD to Nelson, I had nearly caught up.  By this point I was at work listening to the game on the radio.  I knew that Rodgers had been benched but I could not tell if Jennings and Nelson were still in the game.  The backup QB Matt Flynn ran in a three yard touch down for the final score of the game, and Crosby's sixth extra point gave me the lead.  I won 129.54-129.41.  The difference in our scores 0.13 is equal to 2.6 rushing or receiving yards, 6.5 passing yards, or 4.55 return yards.  I didn't have any karma voodoo working this week, so it had to be pure luck that I got just enough points to win.

ps. I could not think of a name for this post, so I named it for the commercial linked to Aaron Rodgers.  You should watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment