Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Things I Was Reminded of this Weekend

I can not sleep on command.  Usually the only thing that is required of me to fall asleep is to sit still.  Knowing this and that I would likely be staying up late on Friday night, I slept three hours during the day on Friday.  That is at least an hour more than I ever nap on a day that I plan to sleep at night.  Combine that with an unlimited supply of coffee, and I had much tossing and turning and very little sleep throughout the night.






Hay bales are fun.  They are a great prop for photo ops and even better for running on and jumping off.  There was a Great Wall of Hay in the field behind my house growing up.  It was square bales rather than round, and in my memory it was there for years.  Though it may only have been there for a season.  However long it was there, I spent much time climbing and playing on  it.  I wish that I had a picture of it so that I would have a better idea of its dimensions other than just a child’s memory.  I will guess that it was at least ten feet tall, ten feet wide, and one hundred feet long.  I loved it.




Always empty your pockets before getting in a canoe.  I was a nervous wreck after I got in the boat remembering that I had my iPhone in my pocket.  My anxiety was bad enough just floating around, but then Capt Ahab decided that he needed to ram all of the other boats in the pond.  When we pulled over to pick up a third sailor, I handed my phone over to someone on the shore and was able to enjoy the voyage more.




Never play a video game for the first time when there is a audience.  I was peer pressured into Just Dance.  I had never even seen it played until that day.  There were words on the screen, so I was singing, not watching the dances, before it was my turn.  To make matters worse, I had to dance to a song that I did not know.  Despite that, I did not make too big a fool of myself.  Later I played Mario for the first time in ten or fifteen years.  Thankfully I was playing with people who knew what they were doing, so I was able to ride their coattails during the difficult sections.

Inside jokes are hilarious.  They are especially funny when the butt of the joke does not realize that he is being laughed at.  How do you like them apples?


Fire is really cool.  Saturday night I went out and sat by the fire while waiting for the shower after everyone else went to bed.  I just sat there for half an hour hypnotized by the flames.  I did not get any pictures when the fire was big and my pictures of the coals do not do it justice.

The Oscars are more fun when you have seen the favorite.  I have not seen The King’s Speech which won four or The Fighter that won both supporting Oscars.  I did see Inception, four Oscars, and The Social Network, three Oscars, but they were both just alright for me.  Though I do love Aaron Sorkin and Jesse Eisenberg’s fro.  Natalie Portman did take home Best Actress, but my favorite Winter’s Bone went home empty handed.

1 comment:

  1. I built an enormous fire for the 7ups on our retreat this weekend. Tracy and I found a pile of scrap lumber which serviced our initial modest goals, but then we ran across two fallen trees which were dead enough for us to break up. That expanded our ambition. We ended up with a fire that was about four or five feet high and able to warm a circle that was about 45 feet across. Fun times.

    ReplyDelete