Thursday, March 17, 2011

The March to Madness

I have poured over all the stats, watched game film from all 68 teams, and consulted all of the basketball experts.  I am now prepared to correctly predict the winners of all 67 games.  Though if you remember my last post, you know the I already missed the first game of the tournament.  I have not picked the championship correctly since 2001, so it is unlikely that I get it right this year.

My final four picks are Kansas, Ohio State, Pitt, and Texas with Kansas beating Ohio State for the title.  I did not want to put Pitt in there, but their region is pretty weak.  In the past I have picked more upsets than I did this year.  I did not even pick any 12 seeds, though they have a history of pulling off upsets.  I picked two of the 13 seeds, Belmont and Morehead State.  I picked the Eagles mostly because last year I did not pick their conference mate Murray State and took lots of grief for it.  The other reason is because they are facing Rick Pitino.  I can not stand the Cardinals coach and always pick them to lose early.  Also every win for Morehead State means another game for the NCAA all time leading rebounder Kenneth Faried.  If Morehead State has a long run in the tournament, it increases the chance of that title staying in the OVC.

The first round game that I am most looking forward to is the Cincinnati/Missouri game.  My two favorite coaches who made the tournament are facing each other in this game.  Missouri's Mike Anderson was an assistant at Arkansas under Nolan Richardson back during the Hog's glory years.  Cincinnati's Mick Cronin spent three years as head coach at Murray State.  He won one regular season and two tournament conference championships while there.  I picked Missouri to win the game, but I will be cheering for the Bearcats.  But not as much as I will be cheering for Hampton to beat Duke.

2 comments:

  1. I can't agree or disagree with any of these picks because I haven't seen the color of their uniforms and you know that's how I make my choices!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vickey, I make my choices based on how the cheerleaders look in their uniforms. Forget the players on the court.

    My favorite college colors are True Blue and Gold. Go Bruins!

    I thought about qouting UCLA's Basketball stats from 1978 - 1982, but I figured if I did Pompous would bust me out and let his faithful readers know I googled the information.

    The thing is I went to all the games, but I did not pay attention to what I was going on. So it really is March Madness for me.

    ReplyDelete