Monday, February 7, 2011

The First Shall Be Last

Congratulations to the Green Bay Packers for winning Super Bowl XLV.  It was appropriate that the team that one the first Super Bowl also won the last one.  XLV will be the last Super Bowl because there will be either a lockout or a strike next season.  Super Bowl MVP Aaron Rodgers not only led the Packers to the Super Bowl title, he also led the Neptune Pirates to the championship of the Chicken Wing League (sorry for the fantasy football reference Mac).

The Brett Favre #4 is the only Packer jersey that I own.  I have not worn it much, if any, during the last three seasons while he has been playing for the Jets and Vikings.  Favre has already retired this season and set another NFL record.  He broke the record for consecutive seasons with a retirement set back in the 70’s by Wishy McWashson.  Since he is retired and not a Viking, I wore his jersey during the NFC Championship game at Chicago.  After that win I decided that I needed a new jersey to wear during the Super Bowl.

I debated the pros and cons of the current Packers and decided that I would probably get a Tramon Williams jersey.  As usually the gap between my intentions and my actions was too wide for Evel Knievel to jump.  So by the time that I finally got on line to shop, his jersey had sold out.  I considered picking another player, but chose to wait until next season, if there is a next season, to get a new jersey.  So I was forced to wear the Favre yet again tonight.  But on the bright side, I got to wear a giant piece of cheese on my head.

I would go into detail about the game, but you saw the game or do not care about football.  There was a big lead, then a near comeback, then Artie got slushied.  The singing at the game was bad, but I blame Jerry Jones for that.  There was creamy tacos and apple dumplings.  Now if only the Cubs could win the World Series.

7 comments:

  1. I think I am suppose to resemble the remark "do not care about football".

    I care about football. I was married to a former Razorback cheerleader for five years. I went to every game from 1982 to 1987.

    My oldest niece,Lauren, is a cheerleader. She will probably be a cheerleader for the Razorbacks. Which means Bill will go to every game.

    Thanks to my Godmother and Josh Duhamel, I went to the Superbowl Games in 2000, 2001, and 2002. Despite the jokes, I did watch parts of the game.

    While I may go to football games, there is too much other trivia in my head(who did or who did not win an Academy Award or how many degrees you may be from The Temple of The Pig, or coming up with new designs for shrines and pedestals) to have room to fully understand the mechanics of the games.

    A pompous person got me a copy of "Football For Dummies" for my birthday. The one thing missing from the book is the part about the cheerleaders and that is the one thing I do understand about the game.

    After all this long windness I do care about football, but I just do not understand all the plays and rules. Yes, the Black Eyed Peas sucked at the half time show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Bill that comment was directed at anyone who reads this blog who did not watch the game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bill, you're so vain, I bet you think this blog is about you. Don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am confused. Is it Carly Simon or Bill who look like Mic Jagger in drag?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shane, I may walk around in a fog most of the time, but I am not confused enough to dress up like a girl. I have never dressed up as a girl for either work or Halloween or just because.

    I leave dressing in drag to two of my good friends, Kevin and you.

    Kevin got paid $500,000 to dress in drag in "JFK". I think you dress in drag for fun and for free.

    Do you still have the blonde wig,the slinkly low cut red cocktail dress, and the matching size 12 red pumps in your closet? Sorry, I forgot I wasn't suppose to tell people what is in your closet! LOL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pompous, my assistant was doing her usual daily check of the web for mentions of me and she came across your blogspot. So I thought I would peruse your blog and see what it had to do with me. Football and drag queens and me. Not a football fan, but I am sure I there are drag queens who are fans of football and me.

    Pompous, you are cute in a nerdy kinda way. I was surprised to see you work for the Postal Service. You look like a waiter at The Grill On Main.

    To the poser who posted as me, please be more original about Bill than using the obvious. I have written over two hundred songs. The best fit for Bill would be "Legend in Your Own Time" You would need to change time to mind, but the sentiment would still be the same.

    Here are some of my public statements about "You're So Vain" and where they were made.

    VH1 - One to One - 1990

    "People have been questioning for a long time, who it's about - I mean, who I wrote the song about.

    It always strikes me as funny. That people would be THAT into what I was thinking about, that's the greatest ego trip anybody could have....that they would be THAT interested in what you were thinking about when you wrote a song.

    And for that very reason, of course, I can never give it away." Carly Simon


    Primetime Live - 1990

    Diane Sawyer: You're So Vain is about...we've heard Mick Jagger and Warren Beatty.

    Carly: Who cares, I can't believe people care, you know? It was a riddle a long time ago and it's best, as all those riddles are, it's best unsolved.

    E!
    "You're So Vain was just a series of lines in a notebook for a long time. There was You're so vain you probably think this song is about you and You walked into a party like you were walking onto a yacht. And then one day I figured out 'Hey, these two could be about the same person.'" Carly Simon

    And lastly,
    Phil Donahue - 1990

    An audience member asks Carly: Was You're So Vain about Warren Beatty? And did Mick Jagger sing vocals on that?

    Carly: I've never, ever told who You're So Vain is about. But I will tell you since you're so very pretty in that pink sweater....it's about the young William Geoffrey Worlow.



    Since I am getting some press here, please click on the link to my Amazon store.
    Thank you.

    CEST

    ReplyDelete