Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Where's all your help?

I was working last night when I looked out of my trailer and saw an old white guy standing on the dock looking in my direction.  I did not recognize him, but that was no surprise.  The management carousel spins so fast here that I do not even bother to learn their names until they have been around for at least six months.  When I rolled my empty equipment off of the trailer and started pushing a full container into the trailer, the guy says to me, "Where's all your help?"  Now when I have lots of work to do, I do not want to be interrupted to talk to people that I know, much less complete strangers.  I replied, "I don't have any help."  I do not know if he heard the reply because I did not stop what I was doing or even look in his direction while responding.

He was likely just making a joke because there was a large amount of mail there on the dock waiting for me.  But it reminded me how much it offends me when people suggest that I need help.  I know that I can not do everything, mostly because I do not have the specialized knowledge and training necessary to complete some tasks.  But I can do anything that can be accomplished through strength and willpower.  I some times wonder why I refuse to even consider getting help even though it would save me much work.  I would ask you for suggestions of how I could become more accepting of assistance, but I do not need your help.

7 comments:

  1. Don't know if I want to answer with nature or nurture since we share both. I'm right there in your boat though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle beat me to the punch with her reply. So, I will say I second Michelle's comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know where you got that characteristic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh buddy, you need my help. Trust me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't much see the benefit in getting involved in strangers' troubles without a upfront price negotiated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well if you think you're better than the Beatles then you really were pompous today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've really got to remember to come back and check comments. That is the one failing of the Google reader. I'm going to make more of an effort for you from now on.

    ReplyDelete