Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Working for the Weekend

When I started working for the post office thirteen long years ago, I was just an average employee.  Typing is not my area of expertise, so I didn't do anything to distinguish myself from the rest of the work force.  That all changed in 2002.  My job changed from typing to physical labor.  I would rather rip my arm off than pat myself on the back, but I am probably the best physical laborer that you have ever met.  In a recent letter of recognition, my supervisor wrote that I do "the work of three employees."  I think that this has to be an exaggeration.  I only work an eight hour shift, and that is enough time to do the work of just one employee.  It is more likely that my coworkers that I was being compared to only do the work of 1/3 of an employee, which explains a lot about the current state of the USPS.  The letter also stated that I am "the hardest working man at the Little Rock Plant."  I can't argue with that.

In 2003, my first full year as a mail handler, I was named Little Rock Postal Worker of the Year.  Then again the next year and the next.  In fact every year since then except for 2007 when I broke my finger.  I was also named Arkansas Postal Worker of the Year in '04, '05, '06, '08, '09, and '11.  In 2010 they gave it posthumously  to a carrier from up around Jonesboro who was run over while delivering the mail just a few days before retirement.  I took home the National Postal Worker of the Year in '05, '06, '09, and '11.  You might think that all of this praise might go to my head, but it hasn't.  I was already extremely conceited before the recognition.  My inability to win the International Postal Worker of the Year has also kept me humble.  It is not just me though.  No one from the US has won since the days of the pony express.  There is a huge anti-American bias in the judging.  It is really hard to compete with those eight year-old Asians who are working sixteen hours a day.

7 comments:

  1. I do not doubt that you are the best they have!! You definitely got the hard-worker gene. They should reward you with more time off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know that you'd won all of those awards. Do you just get the honor, or is there a financial reward too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should mention that there is a slight possibility that a small portion of this post was exaggerated. By slight possibility I mean a certainty. By small portion I mean an entire paragraph. And by exaggerated I mean completely fictitious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I worked nine hours and farty minutes without a break this morning. Titles defended.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The hardest working man at the Little Rock Plant implies that there is a woman who is harder working than you are. I would have preferred the non sexist term, he is the hardest person at the Little Rock Plant.

    Also, if you were working farty minutes I am sure they were glad when you did take a break. Glad you defended both of your titles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I meant to say hardest working person at the Little Rock Plant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It does not imply that there is a woman who works harder. It just leaves the door open for the possibility. Rest assured that there is not.

    That was three titles not two.

    ReplyDelete