Sunday, July 7, 2013

I Was a Giant

Last week when Mac was reading my recap of game night, he rightly thought that I should go back and add more commentary to explain the inside jokes. I was surprised that not everyone there had heard this story. Apparently Mac and I have just been telling it back and forth to each other. Since I had already added a paragraph about Florida, I didn't want to make another change this late in the game. Plus, this story is good enough to stand on its own. Get it. Stand. Classic Shane.

One Sunday Ellen and I spent the afternoon in Beebe. When 5:00 rolled around, we joined the queue and headed off to church. As I sat down on the pew, I noticed there was a step stool underneath the pew in front of me. I don't know why they are there but the auditorium is full of them. I used to always call them kneeling benches, but I don't think that is their intended purpose. My first thought upon seeing it was that I must stand on it when it is time to sing. Unfortunately there was not a time of standing before the sermon. The anticipation of this sight gag was so great that I could barely pay attention to the sermon. If that was not distracting enough, I was sitting between two note passing poets.

Eventually the sermon ended and my moment came. I stood up taller than any person has a right to be. I kept a straight face for about half a second before Mac looked at me, and we both fell into laughter. I tried my hardest to sing, but all I could do was giggle like three giggling things. When I did finally compose myself a bit, I was extremely paranoid that everyone behind me in the auditorium was staring at my freakish height. The stool is only 4 1/2 inches, which put me around 6' 3", but I felt like the tallest person in the world. Seriously I don't know how you tall people can live with everyone being able to see you. It was nerve racking. And now you know, the rest of the story.

So the next time you read, "Have my step ready, Sight gag can't compete tonight, May need to fall down," you can take comfort in the fact that your funniest moment may still be ahead of you. Alas, I will never be able to top that joke.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, how I would have laughed if I had seen that!!! I incorrectly assumed that it was a reference to your tried and true favorite--falling down the stairs. Maybe all your best stuff revolves around steps. Remember when you made the joke about Moma's "fall decorations" being the lift? Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot about fall decorations. That was sunny. It seems like a long time ago when I was young enough to fall down the stairs without having to worry about breaking a hip.

    ReplyDelete