Monday, May 7, 2012

A Tale of Two Movies

It was the best of times.  It was the hard to evaluate following the spectacular best of times that proceeded it.  I guess Dickens won't be able to help me write this.

On any other day I may have loved Blue Like Jazz.  I helped make it after all.  I was an associate producer on the movie.  By that I mean, I donated money to help get this publicly financed movie made.  As compensation for my donation, I received a t-shirt, a coffee mug, and a phone call from the director.  I also got my name in the credits.  A smarter man would have moved closer to the scene before taking this blurry photo.  The photo of Ellen's name is even blurrier.


I am having difficulty deciding how much I liked BLJ after watching Avengers just a couple of hours before it.  If BLJ had been the second best movie ever made, I would still be unsure of my feelings about it.  The gap is that wide between The Avengers and every other movie ever made.

Last year I rewatched all the Marvel made movies and rated them on a scale from one to ten (it has since been updated to include the original Fantastic Four and Punisher movies).  My favorite was X-Men with a 9.8 rating.  On that 1-10 scale Avengers gets a 42.  There are not enough superlatives in my vocabulary to describe this Joss Whedon masterpiece.

I realize that I have a reputation for exaggeration, but saying Avengers is the best thing ever put on film is an understatement.  At one point during the movie I thought, "This is the greatest moment of my life."  I cried twice during Avengers, once because it was sad and once because it was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen.  It will take every ounce of willpower that I possess to not go see this movie again tomorrow, and the next day, and every other day for the rest of my life.

4 comments:

  1. If I had your life to live over again, I would have written that Joss Whedon and the Avengers are the perfect matchy combo. Epic fail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know you could have just edited the post and included that comment instead of commenting on your own blog. You are the dumb.

    But you may also be the right. Perhaps not about the Avengers being the best thing ever put on film, but about the awesomeness of it completely overshadowing everything I feel about BLJ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I laughed at this so much when I read it at the girls' dentist appointment that I may have gotten some looks. Guess I need to go to the movies! Also, I tried to publish my comment yesterday morning when I read it, but I'm too stupid to do more than read on my phone apparently.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to see you tomorrow to find out when you cried. I thought that I would cry when "old purple puss" showed up at the end, but then Brian told me that there were licensing issues with the Surfer, and I remembered that the Avengers fought Thanos sans Surfer the first time.

    ReplyDelete