Friday, April 6, 2012

Dream Job

Last weekend the Source of All Questions asked me what my ideal work schedule would be. Naturally my immediate response was 11:30 - 1:00 every other Thursday. He then added the stipulation that, unlike him, I had to work a full schedule. I mentioned the 7 am to 3:30 pm that is available at my current job, which would be a nice alternative to my current shift. As is often the case, the conversation moved on in another direction before I could put much more thought into it. Since then I have come up with some shifts that I like better.

Option 1 - Working 40 hours straight. Tuesday 7am - Wednesday 11 pm. It would actually need to be later than 11:00 to make time for lunch or nap breaks. The advantage of this shift is getting work over with all at once and creating a very long weekend. The drawback is lack of sleep and exhaustion, if the work is difficult. I don't believe I could do my current job for farty hours straight.

Option 2 - 2 twenty hour days. Tuesday 7 am - Wednesday 3:30, Wednesday 9:30 am - Thursday 6 am. This is very similar to option 1, but with a six hour break in the middle of it. This would be less tiring but it would still take all day Thursday to recover from work.

Option 3 - 3 days schedule. Tuesday 7 am - 9 pm, Wednesday 7 am - 9 pm, Thursday 7 am - 8:30 pm. I have worked twelve hour shifts before, so I am sure I could handle 13.5 hour shifts. This would cut me back to a four day weekend, but allow for a normal sleeping pattern.

Option 4 - 4 ten hour shifts. 7 am - 5:30 pm Monday through Thursday. I had this job back in 1994 and is the only one of these options that could actually exist in the real world.

After much deliberation, I chose option 3. Now I just need to find an employer who will pay me to work that shift.

No comments:

Post a Comment