Saturday, September 22, 2012

Far from Humorous Anecdote from Work

Tuesday morning when I had completed my day's work, I reached up and hit the pause button on my music.  Due to my overwhelming laziness, I never actually turn off my mp3 player.  I just pause it, then 10 minutes later, it turns itself off.  I must have double clicked it that morning because when I turned it on Tuesday night the battery was dead.  It had just enough juice to play half of a song.  For the rest of my shift, I was condemned to silence.  I still had that half a song in my head, so for the next half hour I sang The Humpty Dance.  After I had all the Digital Underground that I could take, I remembered that right before work I told the story of this youtube, first time I heard Call Me Maybe.  Warning that video is as disturbing as it is hilarious.  It did not take long for me to realize my mistake.  While I know most of the words to Humpty Dance, I only know a couple of lines from Call Me Maybe.  Those two songs echoed through my empty skull for a couple of hours until I died of samesongation.  It was the longest 8 hours ever.

3 comments:

  1. Beware before you click that link. 8 hours will not be enough time.

    Why are you listening to music on your player when there are audiobooks just a roommate away? I just started Lewis's The Great Divorce, and I'm thinking about working through everything he's written that I haven't read before moving on to anything else. Lots of my students rave about Till We Have Faces, and I've never read it or the Space Trilogy. I'm planning to return War and Peace soon, and I hear that you're on the waiting list for it. It's pretty amazing, so you might want to pick it up. Unlike the Humpty Dance, War and Peace contains exactly zero "words that don't mean nothin'" - nary a "noopid" appears even though it's exceptionally long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I claim to have a brainless job, it still requires a small amount of attention. Plus there is quite a bit of background noises. I don't believe that I have the concentration skills nor the hearing ability to pull of audiobooks at work.

    I was on the War and Peace hold list just to insure that you had a copy to listen to, I think. Ellen tried to explain it to me, but there were fractions. My next audiobook will be Count of Monte Cristo. I just finished Sense and Sensibility.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Shane, you made me laugh more than once--in the blog and in the comments.

    ReplyDelete